Kate Upton is probably one of the top two or three most recognizable models in the world right now.
She recently graced the cover of Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Issue, she was featured in an—ahem—entertaining Carl’s Jr. commercial that aired nationally, she basically broke the internet whilst showcasing her dance moves on two separate occasions, she has appeared on countless talk shows and magazine covers and she’s basically the “it girl” of 2012.
That having been said, she’s an unattractive fatty.
Now get me wrong, that’s most certainly not my opinion, on the contrary, I think Upton is smokin’ hottie.
Rather, Kate Upton’s status as an unattractive fatty exists because of the folks over at Skinny Gossip a—wait for it—pro-anorexia website.
In the post—which is tagged under “fattie” and “thunder thighs”—the author goes onto unleash a stream of insults with the same vitriol and level of discourse you’d encounter from a schoolyard bully.
Here are a few quick samples:
“She looks like a squishy brick. Is this what American women are ‘striving’ for now? The lazy, lardy look? Have we really gotten so fat in this country that Kate is the best we can aim for? Sorry, but: eww!”
“Fashion is supposed to be aspirational—and the kind of people who aspire to look like this shop for clothes at Wal-Mart.”
“I thought cannibalism was illegal?!? If that’s not a very different species of cow, Kate could be in legal trouble!”
“She looks thick, vulgar, almost pornographic – and she is a solid 30 lbs too heavy…”
As a quick point of reference before we carry on, I want to make sure everyone is well-aware of who we’re talking about.
That having been said, this is Kate Upton:
Now that we’ve firmly established who we’re talking about (and I’ve driven up my page views), let’s carry on.
I can honestly say I’m sorta shocked to find that we live in a world where supermodels are getting bullied, but when you look at who is doing the bullying here, it kinda makes sense.
The website, which proclaims it is not pro-anorexia, but rather pro-skinny, used to post a “Starving Tip of the Day” for its readers.
Here a few of their amazing Starving Tips from the past:
- When eating with others, cut your food up into really tiny pieces and move it around the plate. It makes it look like you ate a lot more than you really did.
- Learn to LOVE that empty feeling in your stomach. Trust me, you’ll feel disgusting when it starts filling up again.
- If you must eat, ONLY eat when people are watching you. All other calories are eaten in vain.
- Pay close attention to other girl’s bodies. Pick them apart – try to find faults even with the best bodies. Then apply these high standards to yourself.
- Live by the scale and the measuring tape. Unlike people, they will not lie to you.
- Compete!! Compare your body to your friends’ and coworkers’ bodies. Are you the thinnest? If not, why not? If you are, think about how jealous they are of you.
I think you get the point.
I’m just curious what kind of message normal, non-supermodel types are supposed to take from this steaming pile of horseshit.
Seriously, if SUPERMODEL Kate Upton is too big, what the hell do these jerks think of everyone else in the world?
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not asking for the world to throw a pity party for Kate Upton or for people to go on some sort of letter writing campaign to the shitheads behind SkinnyGossip.com for their bullying under the guise of “promoting skinny culture.”
In fact, I’m not really asking for anything. I’m just trying to wrap my head around the fact that we’ve reached a point in our society where supermodels aren’t skinny enough, because that kinda scares the shit outta me.
Can anyone tell me how the hell we got here?