Posted by: Jeremiah Graves | January 17, 2009

Black(out) Friday


So last night Ryan and I had a few beers.

Somehow, those few beers eventually turned into a full-on two-man drunken wrecking crew wandering the streets of Cambridge. Unfortunately, neither one of us can remember much of it. Which is a shame, because I know we had a great time and the bits and pieces we do remember make it seem quite exciting.

Things that I know happened…

-We drank at my place while I cleaned in preparation for Grace’s arrival.
-We attempted to take a picture of my scrubbing the toilet. Unfortunately neither of the digital cameras in my apartment were working.
-We watched “Quantum Leap” for awhile.
-Darcy came over and we taught her how to play Guitar Hero (which is amusing considering the novice status we both still hold).
-We ate some wasabi peas.
-We took some shots of espresso-flavored vodka.
-We got on the T toward Porter Square.
-I nearly got into fight with teenagers…Ryan ensured that I did not.
-We walked forever and a day until we found Robin’s apartment which was serving as our landing spot for a party stock-piled with homemade beer!! (Ironically enough it was right by the infamous Conway Park that I’d first introduced to Jackie and Grace during our post-lease-signing death march back in late June!!)
-We entered the party. I peed and tried to compose myself as to not appear drunk off my ass in front of strangers at 7:30.
-Ryan and I drank a lot of beer and were completely anti-social.

…it’s about here that things get hazy. Unfortunately, that puts us at like eight in the PM or something. That leaves a whole lotta drunken time available for misguided antics in the streets/pubs/backyards of Cambridge.

Things that we think may have happened…

-We bailed on the party without saying goodbye because we were either going to puke on someone or get really loud and really obnoxious.
-We made the trek back to the Porter Square T…all loud and obnoxious, of course.
-I fell at some point. This is based on Ryan having a hazy memory of me taking a tumble combined with a dirty left side of my coat and a big bruise on my left hip discovered this morning.
-We stopped in a bar. I peed. Ryan bummed a cigarette. We were growing more loud and obnoxious.

…this is about the point we both reach full-on blackout mode.

Things that may or may not have happened…

-We may have enjoyed another beverage at the aforementioned watering hole, the jury is still out on that one?!
-Apparently I peed behind/in front of/near a gas station?!
-We rode the T back to Central Square. I can only hope that we did so in silence, because I don’t even want to begin trying to imagine what we would have been talking about—at high decibels I’m sure.
-We decided that we clearly needed more to drink.
-We got kicked out of “The Field” because I was too wobbly at the door?!
-We wandered across the street to the “Green Street Grill.” It was packed and we left.
-We made the trek—via the backstreets—toward the “People’s Republik.”
-I decided I needed to eat/pass out/die and headed home.
-I stopped at McDonald’s and purchased $8.38 worth of fast-food. (This one has been confirmed by my online bank statement)

…this is when my body went into default “get home and pass out” mode.

Things that, unfortunately, also happened…

-At two in the AM I woke up on my couch, in my jacket and boots.
-I woke up to my cell-phone ringing. I answered it and it was some dude speaking Spanish at a very fast-rate; far too fast for two in the morning when you’re passed out on your couch. I assumed it was Ryan, because I vaguely recall us drunkenly speaking mangled Spanish earlier in the evening. As such, I screamed obscenities into the phone until the dude talking went silent. “Ryan?!” I asked. There was a long pause and then “…no?!” I hung up. (I Googled the number this morning, turns out it was some Mexican Telemarketing Company.)
-I looked around to see the TV was on and blaring. I had passed out watching the Home Shopping Network?!
-I fumbled around trying to remove my contacts. In the process I lost the left one and nearly plucked out my entire eyeball removing the right one.
-I went to my room to pass out in a bed and was upset with the temperature. As such, I dug around in my closet for a space heater and turned that bad-boy on and passed out.

Things that I’m glad happened…

-I checked my phone this morning and realized that I’d been passed out in my apartment by like 10:30pm. I also realized that I hadn’t drunkenly texted or called anyone, always less embarrassing that way.
-I checked online and found I hadn’t drunkenly Facebooked anyone or blogged, also less embarrassing that way.
-I was leaving for work and noticed a gigantic, sloppily done snow angel in front of my apartment. I giggled and went to work.

The moral of the story: If you’re going out drinking with Ryan Gray and neither of you has eaten anything substantial—always bring a babysitter and/or a camera to help piece the evening back together the next morning.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine



  1. You know that “wow” face you do with the three fingers on either side of your mouth? Yeah, I’m making that face right now.


  2. […] much like the Blackout Friday adventure from a few years back, I’m doing my best to piece the evening […]


  3. […] where is all this coming from? My buddy—and long-lost work husband—Ryan posted the above photo on my Facebook wall today and when I saw it, well, I had this […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: